Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

Wow! Just can’t wait.

January 26, 2013 in Uncategorized

It is almost 2 years since I last posted.  Totally shocking.  Lots have happened in the intervening months.  At my ripe old age I can remember some and not remember others. 

In the meantime Carl has decided to go on pension and I am up to my ears packing.  I HATE boxes.  ‘Packing’ is a dirty word.  The next dirty word in my dictionary is ‘Unpacking.

We put our house in Nelspruit on the market in November 2012, thinking that it would take at least 3 months for any offers to be received as the market is really quite dead here.  We appointed a sole agent for the first 3 months, as Carl was only going to retire at the end of March.  Lo and behold.  This agent did not overrun us with viewers, but sold the house within 22 days.  We had decided that we were going to retire on the Hibiscus (South) Coast of Kwa Zulu Natal & had been looking at various areas in and around Port Shepstone.  Now our search was on!  We spent evenings and weekends on Property 24.  Found a house we liked, which was actually for sale by an agent we knew and the price suited us.  This is now just before the December school holidays and there was no way we were going to take on the trek to Natal.  Luckily we have a friend in Uvongo who knows the estate agent.  He met her and went to look at the property.  (He is also an estate agent.)  He gave us the thumbs up and we put in an offer.  Now the e-mails are flying to and fro between Natal, Nelspruit and Pretoria (our buyer’s attorney).  In the old end all ends well.

The transfer in Nelspruit takes longer than the transfer in Natal, so our attorneys down there are actually sitting and waiting for things to happen here.  Hopefully by the end of Feb all the legalities will be a thing of the past and we will be starting the next phase of our life.  Seems the older we get the sillier the things we do.  Who buys a house only seen on internet?

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

The Holiday – part 1

April 18, 2011 in Uncategorized

We arrived at “Klein Paradys” on Saturday the 12th of March and quickly set up camp before exploring.  The caravan park is halfway between Bela Bela (Warmbaths) and Modimolle (Nylstroom).  There is an outside pool, a heated inside pool, enclosures with ducks, geese, rabbits, goats and young pair of peacocks.  The peacock and hen, however spend most of their time in the caravan park begging for goodies.  At night they fly back into the enclosure.


 They are still very young and the cock is only just developing his tail feathers.  We were trained very quickly to give them biscuits and NOT birdseed or anything else as mundane.  Had a nice lazy braai and a few sundowners that evening and slept like logs.

The next morning after a leisurely breakfast we drove through to Bela Bela to buy the Sunday paper and more biscuits for the peacocks.  The restaurant served a buffet lunch and we, of course, made use of this.  It was a real “plaas” lunch.  We started off with fish and then came the buffet.  Roast chicken, rolled beef, a vast variety of veggies and roast potatoes, and the cherry on top.  Pumpkin fritters!  We ended off with fresh fruit and ice cream and a homemade lemon pudding to die for.

After this terrific lunch we went back to the caravan and just lazed around.  We had actually taken the laptop with because I had wanted to post daily.  This was not to be, as we were nestled in a type of basin, surrounded by the most beautiful koppies.

The next morning we had breakfast early.  It had started to drizzle, but we were determined to visit the goat farm which was on the other side of  Modimolle – almost halfway to Vaalwater.  By the time we arrived there it was pouring down.  We bought some goat’s cheese and decided to leave as the milking and cheese making was time for 14h00.  While at the goat farm, I picked up a little booklet called “Bosveld Info” which is published monthly.  In this I found and ad for a place called “Eventieria” which was open daily and had leopards, tigers, alpacas, crocodiles, snakes and stacks more.

Now my day of investigating had not even started.  After all, it was only 10h00, even though it was raining.  I got onto my cell, as we now had a decent signal, and asked for instructions to get there.

It was quite a way off, but what are holidays for.  So, off we toddle again.

When we arrived there, it was still drizzling and we sat down to have a cup of tea, waiting for the sun to come out, as the animals were obviously outside. 

This is what we amused ourselves with while waiting:




This little monkey costs R120,000 and had just been purchased. He was very shy and clinging to his surrogate mom for dear life.  I did manage to pick him and his mom up and he seemed to be very happy to cuddle up.  The second picture of him was taken two days later.  He already was a bit more confident and even climbed out of his crate to play.  The white lion was have a nice sleep under one of the tables.  He was apparently a bit sulky that day, as his brother had flown of to Dubai over the weekend.  He didn’t much feel like cuddling, but purred loudly when I scratched his back.  We obviously did not enquire as to what he would cost.  The little monkey was expensive enough.

Will be showing more photos soon.


Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

Things are slowly getting back to normal

April 11, 2011 in Uncategorized

Wow, what a month it has been.  We went on holiday for a week on the 12th March.  It was beautiful!!!  Will be posting this weekend about that.  I even have a picture of a white lion cub sitting on my lap.

When we came back we had to sort the caravan out and prepare for a visit with our godchild and her husband and two sons – that was awful.  Have not seen them for 6 years, and another 60 years’ without seeing them will not be too soon.  This one will be a bitchy post.

Enjoy the rest of the week.  I am now going to sort photos etc. and post the w/end as there seems to be some hiccups on LD at the moment.

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

Stay away!!!!!

March 3, 2011 in Uncategorized

Wow, it’s positively ages since I have blogged.  So sorry, but I have been attacked by all kinds of bugs in the last few weeks.

Below are pictures of the problems we are having with the refuse dump in Nelspruit. 


The first 2 pictures show how the municipality is dumping the refuse on the road adjacent to the dump site.  No 3 shows the water leaching out of the refuse and running down the road.  This eventually ends up in a small river that runs through Nelspruit and joins the Crocodile River.

With all the rain and humidity you can imagine how the blowflies are have a ball in breeding. 

This started way back, but reached epic proportions during October 2010.  The municipality have been ignoring the problem and during the festive season just kept on illegally dumping refuse on the roadside.  It has now reached a stage where one dares not open a door or window because hordes of blowflies descend on you.  If we are not going to die from fly borne diseases, we will surely die of all the toxins we are spraying in our homes in order to kill the little bastards.

The consequence of all this unhygienic practices by our municipality has resulted in more than normal viral infections affecting people, we have an outbreak of meningitis and the list goes on.

  Here is a picture of the Graskop refuse dump which is situated on one of the main roads leading into town.  Imagine it, household refuse dump on the main entrance to a visitors attraction.  Apparently the dump at Watervalboven is also in a shocking state.

On Friday the mayor of Nelspruit visited the dump and promised that everything will be cleared up within 3 weeks.  Why has it taken him this long to go and see for himself.  Our bi-weekly newspaper has been publishing this information since last year.  I think they suddenly realised that the municipal elections were upcoming and they decided to pull up their socks. Definitely a case of “Too little, too late!”

Anyone who votes the engineers of this calamity back into office, will surely just be condoning what they have done in the past.  This is not about politics and political parties, but about the well being of the residents in the towns who are facing a major problem with airborne diseases which could become a national disaster.

Oh well, I hope all the bugs are out of my system as we are planning to go on holiday on the 12th.  What’s the  bet that I will be visiting the refuse dump before I decide to stay for the time we are booked in.

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you ….

January 3, 2011 in Uncategorized


 and his adopted sister -




These two belong to my neighour, but are occasional overnight visitors.  Primo has the most interesting personality.  When he thinks he has stepped over the line, he looks you straight in the eye, smiles his doggy smile and wags his whole body.

Mammatjie, on the other hand, is a sweet gentle lady who snuggles up to you and adores you with her eyes.

Unluckily Primo is very scared of thunder and, of course, fireworks.  He will get out of their property and seek asylum wherever there is compassion to be found.  In this way he has built up quite a fan club in our area.  It has now got to the stage where he will just decide to go walkabout, whether the weather is bad or not.  One regularly sees a new friend walking down the road with Primo on a lead.  Bringing him home again.  He even has a local Guest House he visits on occasion.

Mammatjie , luckily is not of a nervous disposition and just quietly does her thing, bad weather or not.

As their mom was going to attend a New Year’s party, it was decided that she would collect the normal Alzam calming tablets from the vet and then bring the dogs over to us.

The vet told her of a new collar that had been developed which secretes pheronomes which calm the dog.  This also works on cats.  It is called a  DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheronome) collar.  It is also sold in Diffuser and Spray form.  This pheronome is actually secreted by lactating females during the first 3 – 5 days after the puppies have been born. 

The collar as well as the Alzam was purchased and our visitors were duly delivered.  Primo was so restful, we decided to not give him the Alzam before bedtime, but rather wait and see what happens.

When all the big bangs went off at 24.00, he got up from where he was lying on the floor on Carl’s side of the bed and moved to my side and went on sleeping.  These  collars really work.  (I know of a few people I would like to present with one.)



 This is the two peaceful dogs lying right in the centre of my kitchen.  Their favourite spot, because you cannot miss them.

Hope everything gets back to normal soon.  I really do not like these “deurmekaar” days.


Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

Wishing you all….

January 1, 2011 in Uncategorized

  a very happy and peaceful New Year!

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy


December 25, 2010 in Uncategorized

To one and all in Blogland.  May peace and happiness be yours today and forever more.

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

One day flower

December 23, 2010 in Uncategorized



The images above were taken over a period of about 2 hours.  This beautiful flower is called the One day Flower.  It is actually a Tigrida.  The colours vary from cream, yellow, red and a rusty orange.  It is fascinating to watch this flower open as the day gets warmer, but unluckily is only lasts for one day. 

I had not seen these bulbs at nurseries for quite a while and, of course, when I did see them I went crazy and bought stacks. 

This morning I am going to let everything come to a standstill, as there is another bud that will be opening.  Watching the petals unfurl as it gets hotter is one of the most interesting sights.  It is like looking at the speeded up nature movies when a butterfly appears from its cocoon. 

Today is going to be VERY warm and humid.  At 03.30 the temp. was already 22deg.

May your day unfurl into a thing of beauty.


Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

She is not coming back!!

November 22, 2010 in Uncategorized

I suppose it is not possible to play the ostrich anymore. 

A Paradise Flycatcher and his wife??? have built a nest in the trees next to our lapa.  The little lady was very broody and was continually adding little bits of this and that to the nest.  Then she would sit in it and look around, fly off and bring more building / nesting material back to the nest.

Two Tuesdays ago we told the gardening service to stay away from the nest, as we did not want to disturb her.  Her most important job now, was to lay her eggs.  Wednesday we had a terrible wind storm.  This little bird was in the nest, hanging on for dear life.  Really facing the elements with stacks of courage.

On Thursday she did not come back to the nest and Carl and I have been holding our breaths and not talking about it, hoping she would come back to the nest.  Alas it was not to be.  She and her better half are still in the garden.  We can only hope that they have had time to construct another nest in a safer tree.

Below are a few pics of the now abandoned nest.

 If you look closely, you can actually see her in the nest.

 Images of the nest from below 

Oh well, let’s hope we see some babies next summer.

Profile photo of polvy

by polvy

In support of Niels

November 7, 2010 in Uncategorized

1.  What two words will clean out a men’s restroom?

     Nice Dick!


2.  Support bacteria.  It is the only culture some people have